No one travels anymore without carrying a laptop, smartphones, tablets, and some even with high-tech cameras. However, if you are looking to keep your tech gadgets perfectly safe and easy to carry, you must find the best tech backpack before your next trip. Tech backpacks are more commonly known as laptop backpacks, but they allow you to keep all your tech products safe. In this article, we have reviewed some of the best tech backpacks out there.
[amazon bestseller=”Tech backpacks” items=”7″]
What Makes Tech Backpack Different from Traditional Backpacks?
Well, the basic difference is tech backpacks are specifically designed to keep a laptop, related accessories, and other tech products. On the other hand, traditional backpacks are general purpose backpacks that can be used to keep anything you want, like books, documents, clothes, shoes, and other stuff.
Even when in most cases you can use traditional backpacks that resembles school bags to keep laptops and other tech products, but these offers less dedicated laptop protection. In most cases, tech backpacks have separate storage compartments for laptop and tablets, with extra protection. This is not often the case with traditional backpacks.
Simply put, if you want to carry your laptop and tablet all the time, like to work or school, a tech backpack is the best options. However, if you only sometimes carry your laptop in your backpack, a traditional or all-purpose backpack might be a good fit.
What are Different Types of Tech/Laptop Backpacks?
Tech backpacks come in different styles and designs. Here are some common types of tech backpacks available in the market.
1. Business Style Cases and Briefcases
These resemble briefcases and business style cases and available in different styles and sizes. You can find slim briefcases for slimmer laptops and tablets, or wheeled laptop cases that can be transformed into a mobile office.
2. Messenger Backpacks
Messenger backpacks are very compact and designed for people who want to carry limited stuff. These are lightweight and a good option for those who travel on cycles.
3. Larger Laptop Backpacks
These are slightly larger than messenger backpacks and allows you to place several tech gadgets in one backpack. These are mostly available in school bag style with several pockets to accommodate laptop, tablets, chargers, and smartphones.
4. Handbag Style Backpacks
Designed for females, these resemble female handbags. Again, these are very compact and allows you to carry limited stuff.
What to Look for in a Tech BackPack?
- With so many options available out there, you have a lot of good products to choose from. However, a backpack with a top rating may not be a good option based on your unique needs. It depends on what tech equipment you carry with you, why do you need a backpack, and the features you are looking for.
For example, what is the size of your laptop? Some backpacks can carry up to 15-inch laptops, others can accommodate 17-inch as well, while others can carry larger laptops as well.
- Second, you need to look for the number of compartments, pockets, and sleeves in the backpack and compare the options with the stuff you want to carry. For example, if you also want to carry a camera and lens, you may want a backpack that has an extra pocket for that purpose.
You also need to look into the size of tablet pocket or sleeve as tablets now come in different sizes. Some backpacks also feature hidden pockets for expensive smartphones or other stuff.
- Third, you should also look into the design and ease of use. Is it comfortable enough to carry around for hours? Is it too heavy? What is the quality of shoulder straps? Do they have ergonomic design and features? Keep in mind, backpacks are designed for convenience and comfort, so make sure you are buying one that offers you best comfort.
Top 5 Best Tech BackPacks
eBags Professional Slim Laptop Backpack
[amazon box=”B00OKXYUJ0″ template=”horizontal”]
This compact and slim laptop backpack is comfortable and attractive. It comes from a well-known US-based brand, eBags that is known for their high-quality backpacks, laptop bags, and handbags.
Like their other products, the Professional Slim Laptop Backpack also comes with a lifetime warranty that makes it a safe investment. The backpack is made of tough twisted and durable filament polyester exterior in addition to DuPont Teflon fabric cover that makes it long-lasting.
Even though it is designed as a laptop backpack, but several compartments allow you to carry other tech products and accessories as well. The bag also features a zippered water bottle pocket and a crush-proof adapter pocket. For a laptop, the bag offers gracious space as you can fit even large laptops, up to 15-inch in size. The laptop compartment comes with extra padding that is removable. If you want to fit a 17-inch laptop, you can do so by removing the padding.
The backpack also features a top-loaded tablet pocket that can easily accommodate tablets of different sizes (up to 11.5 x 8.1 inches of dimension). The overall design is also eye-catching and sleek. Available in four colors (black, sage green, heathered graphite, and brushed indigo) the backpack includes a top handle which means you can carry it as a briefcase as well as a school bag.
The padded straps also make it easy for you to carry it around without putting too much pressure on your shoulders. It also features a removable shock-load sternum strap that can be used if it gets too heavy.
- Very organized rapid-access compartments with enough padding to keep your gadgets save
- Includes both horizontal and vertical luggage handles
- Comes with removable AC adapter garage
- Lightweight as it weighs only 3.6 lbs and compact design with dimensions of 8.5 x 18 x 12.8 inches.
- Not for laptops bigger than 17 inches.
Everki Titan Checkpoint Friendly Backpack
[amazon box=”B00ERJG842″ template=”horizontal”]
The Everki Titan Checkpoint Friendly Backpack is a stylish and comfortable tech backpack that is designed to accommodate notebooks or larger laptops up to 17.3 inches of length. In addition, the smart backpack has several other compartments for smartphones, tablets, digital player, business cards, and other personal accessories.
The compartments are also very well-organized, spacious, and padded to provide extra protection. The felt-lined tablet pocket also offers extra protection to the screen of your tablet.
The easy-to-carry backpack comes in school bag style with comfortable shoulder carrying straps and a hand grip. The design is also very handy and easy to access as you can open a notebook compartment to 180-degrees. For additional support, the backpack also features front-straps with speed-release buckles.
In addition, it also features headphone cable outlet and zippered media player compartment. The side pockets are also easy to access and multi-functional that can be used to keep a large variety of things. The dimensions of the bag are 13.5 x 9 x 18.9 inches while the weight is 3.79 lbs.
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- It also features water-resilient weather cover that keeps your stuff protected in rain or snow
- The sturdy material is scratch-proof, dustproof, and padded
- Keep your equipment safe with 5-point balance strap system and additional security strap
- Ergonomic shoulder straps and back panel
- Only available in black color
The North Face Surge Laptop Backpack
[amazon box=”B00OQWR3G2″ template=”horizontal”]
Available in seven different color combinations, the Surge from The North Face is a compact and sturdy laptop backpack that is designed for 15-inch laptops and other tech accessories. The North Face, also known as TNF, is a 50-years old US brand that is known for its quality bags and other outdoor accessories.
The Surge is a multi-purpose backpack that comes with a good quality padding around each compartment but still weighs only 2.5 lbs. It has a school bag like the style, with comfortable shoulder straps and a sturdy handle.
The material used is hyper-durable ballistic nylon that makes it sturdy and long-lasting. The dimensions of this backpack are 22 x 16 x 5 inches which means you can carry it as handbag onto the plane.
In total, there are three main compartments that include laptop compartment, admin pouch, and a large compartment in the middle. The laptop compartment/pouch comes with a lot of padding and fleece line along with an elevated design that keeps it at distance from the ground.
The admin pouch has several bags and pockets that include a tablet sleeve, a zipper pocket, and three quick access pockets, that are more than enough to keep tablets, phone, or other accessories. In addition, there are other smaller compartments and pockets as well like the bottom compartment and sunglass storage pouch.
- Comes with ACA (American Chiropractic Association) endorsed design and anatomically correct fit
- Easy to use and access as you can open the compartments to 180 degrees
- Long-lasting and durable
- Made of heavy-duty fabric that is water-resistant and comes with a lifetime warranty
- Comes with 360-degree reflection on the backpack that adds to visibility in the night
- You can’t use it for laptops bigger than 15-inch size
- Side pockets may be small enough for some people for larger water bottles
Incase EO Travel Backpack
[amazon box=”B000023VPY” template=”horizontal”]
The travel-friendly, easy-access, water-resistant, and stylish tech/laptop backpack comes from Incase Designs Corp, a US-based manufacturer best known for its high-quality bags.
The backpack comes with a separate well-padded sleeve for laptops with a capacity to accommodate up to 17-inch of laptops. In addition, there are several other pockets, like an inside slip pocket for tablet, and other pockets for chargers and cables. It also features side compression straps that keep all your equipment safe and stabilized.
The school bag style backpack comes with padded shoulder strains that don’t cause any strain on your shoulders. The back of the bag is made of breathable mesh, so you don’t sweat while carrying it.
It weighs only around 2 lbs while the dimensions are 18.5 x 12 x 6.3 inches. Available in black color, the overall design and outlook are also very attractive. It is made of durable 300D heathered weave Ecoya eco-dyed polyester that makes it sturdy and long-lasting.
- Complete flat open option for easy access
- You can expand the main compartment by 35% if you need more storage space
- Comes with an additional front sternum strap for comfort
- Slim and compact design that makes it easy to carry
- Comes with a hidden phone pocket
- Not for laptops bigger than 17-inch in size
JanSport Cool Student Laptop Backpack
[amazon box=”B01A6BP10Q” template=”horizontal”]
Available in 17 different attractive designs and colors, this one is specifically designed for students. This one comes from a well-recognized US-based outdoor brand that was established in 1967.
Made of a combo of synthetic leather and 600D Denier polyester, the JanSport Cool Student backpack is compact but sturdy and durable. The backpack despite its compact design offers enough storage space for all your basic tech products. The school bag style backpack features two main compartments and several smaller pockets and sleeves.
The internal compartment comes with a laptop sleeve that is good enough for a 15-inch laptop. It is also easy to carry with padded ergonomic S-curve and comfortable shoulder straps and web haul handle. The additional pockets also include a side water bottle pocket as well as pleated front stash pocket.
It is the lightest backpack on our list as it weighs only 1.3 lbs, while the overall dimensions are 13 x 9.8 x 8.3 inches.
- Durably built with a synthetic leather bottom
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Lightweight and easy to carry
- Not for laptops bigger than 15-inch in size
Even though all five are excellent tech backpacks, but you can’t buy all five, can you? It all depends on your own personal preferences as each comes with different features. However, if you ask us to choose one from the list, we would recommend Everki Titan Checkpoint Friendly Backpack.
This is because it is the most spacious backpack with some cool extra features. You can carry larger laptops with this one, while its excess extra pockets allow you to keep every tech product you have in one place. It offers protection against water, snow, and dust, while its sturdy and robust material, as well as a lifetime warranty, makes it a safe investment.
In addition, the design is also very attractive as it can add style to your personality when you carry it. Overall, it makes an excellent option for both long travel trips and the daily commute to your office or college.