We all know the importance of having the right earbuds for working out, especially when you are used to long and intense hours of physical exercise. Wired earbuds can be a mess and will often cause you more distress than good during a workout which is why wireless (and Bluetooth) earbuds are often recommended for exercise. In this guide, we take a look at the key factors that make up good workout earbuds and review some of the best wireless earbuds available today.
Best 5+ Wireless Earbuds for Working Out 2017
Now that you know exactly what it is that you need to consider when buying wireless workout earbuds, let us take a look at the reviews of some of the best wireless sports earbuds available in the market today
|JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sport Earbuds, GUARANTEED fitness, waterproof IPX5 rated,...||1571 Reviews||$99.99||Buy on Amazon|
|NuForce BE6i Wireless Bluetooth Headphones with aptX, AAC and Long Battery Life, Gold||122 Reviews||$99.00||Buy on Amazon|
|TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones Wireless In Ear Earbuds Sports Sweatproof Earphones with Built in...||4583 Reviews||$25.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Jaybird X2 Sport Wireless Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black||5135 Reviews||$116.95||Buy on Amazon|
|Plantronics BackBeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones - Blue||4709 Reviews||$79.99||Buy on Amazon|
|Skullcandy Ink'd Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds with Mic, Black (S2IKW-J509)||355 Reviews||$31.59||Buy on Amazon|
|Powerbeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphone, Active Collection - Flash Blue (Old Model)||4962 Reviews||$135.99||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2017-04-25 | Details
1. JLab Audio Epic2 Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless Sports Earbuds
The Epic2 wireless headphones by JLab are exercise-focused, in-canal earbuds that have a secure in-ear seal and an over-ear loop for ensuring a stable fit. The booming bass response that is offered by these earbuds with the balanced audio output ensures that the sound quality is good enough for most people. However, at high volumes, there is some notable distortion which might be a problem for audiophiles. Moving on to the design, these earbuds are available in a range of color options that include black, blue/teal/gray, and red/blue/white models.
The earbuds themselves are made of durable material, and rubber insulated wiring for ensuring minimum accidental damage. As for sweat and moisture, the earbuds have an IPX5 rating which means that they can handle sweat, rain, moisture, and water without an issue – not just this but they can even be rinsed off! There is nothing to worry about regarding battery time, though, these earbuds can easily last a maximum of 12 hours of continuous music playback which means that it can easily last through 2-3 workouts without the need for being charged. To summarize, these are inarguably one of the best earbuds that you will find in this price range, with a good fit, maximum battery life, and high-quality sound output.
- Powerful sound performance that features a boosted bass response.
- Exceptional in-ear canal design with an over-ear loop for the perfect fit.
- IPX5 rated – sweat and moisture resistant.
- Excellent battery life – lasts up to 12 hours of continuous use.
- Distorted audio output noted at high volumes.
- The controls are a bit too small – you can accidentally skip a track instead of adjusting the volume.
- Could have higher clarity and a better frequency response.
- BEST-IN-CLASS PLAYTIME With up to 12 hours of mind-blowing sound between charges, Epic2 Bluetooth Earbuds powers past the competition. Get a week's worth of...
- FITNESS-PROOF Blood. Sweat. Tears. And whatever else you can dish out. We've spent the past two years listening and innovating. The JLab Epic2 Bluetooth Earbuds...
- RADICAL SKIP-FREE SOUND WITH BEACONTM SIGNAL TECHNOLOGY C3TM (Crystal Clear Clarity) technology delivers a clean, crisp, immersive sound with vibrant highs,...
Last update on 2017-04-21 | Details
2. NuForce BE6i Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
The NuForce BE6i wireless Bluetooth headphones are a drastic improvement over their predecessors regarding sound quality and durability. The BE6i headphones have an aluminum enclosure with a cheap plastic remote on the flat and insulated tangle-free wire. While the aluminum makes the headphones highly durable and resistant to falls and accidents, it does make them much heavier which affects the fitment in a negative manner. Luckily, though, the comfortable ear tips that accompany these headphones come in seven different sizes that can help you get a comfortable fit.
These headphones are also IPX5 rated which makes them resistant to moisture, sweat, and rain for ensuring a worry-free listening experience. As for the battery life, these headphones by NuForce can last up to 8 hours of continuous use which is sufficient for sports and working out. Moving on to the sound quality, the BE6i sounds goods with almost all types of music and retains excellent clarity, even at high volumes.
- Solidly build with an aluminum body that is durable and sturdy.
- Good sound output quality with clarity retained even at high volumes.
- The comfortable earbuds can be readily changed for a secure fit.
- A bit on the bulky side of things which leads to a finicky fitment.
- The remote control is made out of plastic and looks cheap within the aluminum body.
- SUPERIOR SOUND QUALITY with Patented 10mm Driver, aptX and AAC.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, Water- And Sweat-Proof Full Aluminum Earpiece with IPX5 Rating
- 8 HOURS of Music and Calls For Full Day Use
Last update on 2017-04-29 | Details
3. TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones Wireless In-Ear Earbuds
The most notable factor about the TaoTronics Bluetooth Headphones is their value for money – at such a low price, the earbuds can deliver the battery life, fitment, and sound quality of high-end wireless earbuds. Weighing just half an ounce, these earbuds are incredibly lightweight and feature an in-ear canal design with three different earbuds (provided with the headphones) for a comfortable fit. As for the battery, the headphones feature an energy efficient connection that ensures that the battery can last up to 7 hours of continuous music playback.
It is also sweat-proof and CVC noise cancellation technology for providing a moisture-free experience with no distortions in sound. Last but not the least, the sound output quality is balanced and natural with a good bass response that makes it suitable for listening to all kinds of music. If you are looking for a reliable and inexpensive pair of wireless headphones, then this offering by TaoTronics is just what you need!
- Incredibly lightweight that allows for a comfortable fit.
- Sweat proof design with CVC noise cancellation for a disturbance-free experience.
- Good sound quality, especially considering the price of the headphones.
- The battery life is average (especially when you consider the performance of most other headphones in the price range).
- The frequency response range is not suitable for music that has delicate highs.
- Sweat in Style: The Winner in Sports Audio Features Innovative Sweat Proof Covering and Flexible Ear Hooks That Stay in Place No Matter the Physical Activity
- Top Quality Audio: Hear Richer and More Natural Sound from Your Smartphones, Tablets, and Audio Devices with the Aptx Codec
- Last Longer, Sweat Longer: Bluetooth 4.1 Offers a Faster, More Energy Efficient Connection so You Can Listen to Music for up to 7 Hours
Last update on 2017-04-29 | Details
4. Jaybird X2 Sports Wireless Bluetooth Headphones
These are the most premium headphones offering that we have in this review list. The Jaybird X2 sports headphones are in-ear wireless earbuds that have been made for workouts and sports activities. The sound quality, as with all other offerings from Jaybird, is well-balanced, clear, and crisp with little to no distortion noted (even at maximum volume). The bass response is impressive, and the headphones manage to perform well in the higher frequency ranges as well.
Moving on to the battery life, the headphones can last up to a total of 8 hours of music playback which is a bit disappointing, especially when you consider the price of the headphones. The design of the headphones is also a discouraging especially because they do not offer a comfortable and secure fit on the ears. As for the sweat resistance, the headphones have the standard protection mechanism against moisture and sweat, and Jaybird has even thrown in a lifetime sweat proof warranty to support this claim.
- Lifetime sweat-proof warranty that ensures no damage to the headphone from moisture or sweat.
- Matte finish design that looks appealing to the eye.
- Excellent sound output performance.
- Poor battery life for the price.
- Do not offer a comfortable fit which beats the purpose of sports headphones.
- Premium Bluetooth Audio For Skip-Free Music Outdoors
- 8 Hours of Music + Calls With Complete Remote Controls
- Secure Over/Under-Ear Fit Options
Last update on 2017-04-29 | Details
5. Plantronics Backbeat Fit Bluetooth Headphones
The Plantronics Backbeat Fit Headphones are great sports and workout earbuds they are designed with flexibility and stability during all kinds of exercise in mind. The headphones offer a rugged look as well as being water and sweat resistant. The headphones can last about more than 8 hours without charge on non-stop music play.
The headphones also feature on-ear controls that allow for easy accessibility which lets you listen to music as well as take calls on the go. The headphones also feature some safety measures with specially designed ear-tips that allow for you to be aware of surrounding noises during outdoor workout sessions.
- Integrated microphone.
- Sweat proof design.
- Good battery life.
- Comfortable to wear.
- Inconsistent performance.
- Does flop around a bit.
- SPORTS AND WORKOUT EARBUDS: Specifically constructed with a flexible design so earbuds remain stable in your ear throughout all levels of exercise.
- WATERPROOF AND SWEATPROOF: Designed with invisible nano-coating technology to protect earbuds against water and sweat during running and workouts.
- LONG LASTING BATTERY LIFE: Impressive 8 hours of wireless listening time per charge allows you to spend more time working out with these sport headphones.
Last update on 2017-04-28 | Details
6. Skullcandy Ink'd Bluetooth Wireless Earbuds with Mic
The Skullcandy Ink’d wireless headphones are a neckband style headphone. They are very lightweight, and you will barely feel them around your neck. The neck band is pretty flexible and offers an array of buttons on its sides that can be used to play, pause, pick up calls, increase and decrease volume, advance a song. The buttons are large and can be distinguished easily operated by feel. The cord is thin but seems to be quite durable and won't fray or break over time.
The sound quality exceeds expectations with a powerful bass and treble. The all-around sound is well-rounded and offers more than a decent amount of clarity in the mid ranges. The Headphones don't offer and extra features like noise cancellation and magnetized buds. The cord lengths are also not adjustable which compromise on some important comfort. As a final verdict, the headphones offer some good sound especially considering the price but don't offer any extra features. Considering the price, you can't expect the world from them but what they do offer is the sound quality that exceeds expectations.
- Flexible neckband
- Good sound quality
- Not pricey.
- Look cheap.
- Non-adjustable cords.
- Feather light and Feature Packed. Get all the bells and whistles without the weight. At only 24 grams, you'll forget you're even wearing this feather light bud.
- Bluetooth Wireless. Thanks to 30-feet of Bluetooth range, you're not only in control, you're free to roam.
- 8-Hour Battery Life. Zone out to music, or dial in to more calls with a solid 8 hours of rechargeable battery life.
Last update on 2017-04-28 | Details
7. Powerbeats2 Wireless In-Ear Headphones
The Powerbeats2 are an expansion of the renowned headphone brand, Beats by Dre, into the in-ear headphone market, mainly meant to be workout headsets. The headphones have a minimalistic design and are extremely grippy and tend to stay on no matter how rigorous your exercise is. Its adhesive quality comes at the price of a bit comfort. The two headphones are joined with a flat rubberized cable. A pair of silicon hooks goes around your ear's cartilage allowing for an extra line of defense against the headphones falling off unintentionally.
The powerbeats2 offer a powerful bass which is exactly what you need when it comes to workout headsets. While they excel on the bass, the headphones lack again in the mid and high ranges. In the productive middle department, the sound is noticeably thinner and lacks in warmth. In the headphones work on both iPhone and Android.
- Minimalistic design.
- Universal control rocker.
- Lots of basses.
- The headphones seem to pair seamlessly via Bluetooth without much effort.
- Lack of comfort.
- Pair and play with your Bluetooth device with 30 foot range
- 6 hour rechargeable battery
- Sweat and water resistant
Last update on 2017-04-25 | Details
Things to Consider When Buying a Wireless Earbud for Working Out
When you are looking to buy the perfect wireless earbuds for working out, here are the list of factors that you should consider before making the decision to purchase:
The first and most important that you need to look for is that the wireless earbuds must stay in place! We all know how annoying it can be when you have to readjust your earbuds so that they stay on continuously. Having this feel that your earbuds will fall off at any time diverts your focus from the workout to adjusting your earbuds which beat the entire purpose. Therefore, you should look for earbuds that comfortably fit in your ears and will not come off when you are running or exercising. In general, lighter earbuds are better suited for gym work because they offer a more stable fit and are more comfortable to wear.
When you are working out, it is highly likely that you will sweat a lot and you do not want your earbuds (or their performance) to get affected by the moisture that is found in your sweat. When you are sweaty during a workout, your focus should be on working harder instead of the fact that your earbuds might get broken. For this reason, always look for earbuds that are moisture and sweat resistant.
This is another important factor to consider when you are buying earbuds for exercise since you will be moving fast and there are high chances of accidentally hitting your headphones. The perfect workout earbuds have to be able to sustain bumps or hits without suffering from damage. There is only one alternative to this, though, buy cheaper earbuds! Why? Because if the earbuds are inexpensive, then you need not worry about them getting damaged because you can easily buy replacement ones!
When you are hitting it at the gym, you want the minimum number of possible distractions, and for this purpose, it is important that you hear your music instead of the people around you. At the same time, though, you do not want others to be hearing what you are so your earbuds need to have adequate noise isolation functionality. To ensure that you have optimum levels of focus on your exercise form and intensity then you need to channel out your surroundings completely. Earbuds with good noise isolation will keep you focused and give you the extra bit of privacy that you need from the environment without letting others hear the kind of music that you are listening to.
This is another essential factor that you need to consider for wireless earbuds – there is no point of having wireless connectivity if it offers poor battery life. At the very least, your earbuds should be able to last at least one workout. Most people will work out between 1 – 3 hours per day on average which means that your earbuds should have a battery with a life of at least 4 – 5 hours of continuous playback. This is the bare minimum for wireless workout earbuds. You should also keep the charging time in mind because you do not want to have to spend several hours to charge your earbuds that will only give you a couple of hours of playback time. In short, look for earbuds that have a long battery life and short charging time for optimal performance.
The last thing that you need to consider is the primary purpose of earbuds – the sound output. Most people tend to believe that wireless workout earbuds are not going to offer the same sound quality as premium high-end earbuds, but this is just a myth. Just because you will use your earbuds for working out does not mean that you have to suffer from poor sound quality. You should look for earbuds that offer at least average sound quality with a clean, balanced sound and enhanced bass (if you prefer that).
Finding the right headphones can be a difficult task for anyone due to the wide variety of choices available and the different features they offer. In this regard we have brought the top 7 headphones we think that offer the complete package.