The handwriting mode in the Messages app on your iOS 10 running device allows you to type your messages using your hand. This means you can write your messages in the app as if you were writing them on a sheet of paper using a pen and your hand.
The handwriting mode comes enabled by default in the Messages app for iOS 10. While this is a pretty neat feature that helps you quickly compose messages using your handwriting, some people would prefer typing the message using the traditional keyboard rather than their hands. If you are one of those users, there is an option for you to disable the feature so that you no longer see the handwriting option while composing a message in the Messages app.
See more: Top 5+ Best Handwriting Apps For iPad
Once you have disabled the feature, you should see the traditional keyboard for typing your message. Here’s how you can go about doing that on your device:
Turning Off the Handwriting Mode in Messages for iOS 10
1. Tap on the Messages app icon on the home screen of your device to launch the app.
2. When the Messages app opens, open a conversation in there. This could be any conversation in the Messages app on your device. When the conversation opens, tap in the text field so you can write a new message.
3. While you are writing a message, rotate your iPhone to landscape mode. This will bring forth the handwriting panel.
On the handwriting panel, tap on the keyboard icon in the lower-right corner to disable the handwriting mode and to go back to typing using a traditional keyboard.
4. The handwriting panel should now be gone and you will be back to using the traditional stock keyboard on your device.
So, that was how you could turn off the handwriting mode in the Messages app for iOS 10. In the future, if you wish to turn the handwriting mode back on, then you can do so by following the following steps:
Turning On the Handwriting Mode in Messages for iOS 10
1. Open the Messages app on your device by tapping on the app icon on your home screen.
2. When the app opens, tap on a conversation to open it and then tap in the text area to write a new message.
3. Rotate your device in the landscape mode.
4. The traditional iOS keyboard will show up on your screen. What you need to do is tap on the handwriting icon given in the lower-right corner of the keyboard to turn on the handwriting mode in the app.
5. You should now be able to write your message using handwriting.
So, that was how you could enable and disable the handwriting mode in the Messages app for iOS 10.
There’s one thing you should keep in mind that this should only work if you are using the stock iOS keyboard. If you happen to have installed a third-party keyboard on your device, you will not see the handwriting mode option. Let us know if this helped you by commenting below!